Monday, November 26, 2007

changes........ (animo run 2007)

I closed my eyes.....

Turned on my right side......

Turned on my other right side.....

I still couldn't sleep! D@mn iT!!!!

I went downstairs 3 times that night. I guess I did over hydrated the whole Saturday.

::: 3am :::::

"Is it time already?????", arrrgh! Still too early..... I can't sleep! I did however took my time, brushed my teeth, took a quick shower and put on my Brand Spanking new h@ppyFeet uniform.

:::: 4:20am ::::

"Hmmmm..... Pan de Manila!" its just about 400meters away from my apartment..... Fearing that I might over pace myself again and puke Pan de Sal a the finish line. I bought 2 pcs only and again took my time to finish it on the spot.

:::: 5:15 am ::::

"Where's the parking area!!?!?!?!?!" If I have a gripe on last Sunday's race, it would be the different directions that I got from the guards on Mall Of Asia (MOA). It took me 15 minutes of endless U turns on the mall grounds. Only to find out that we had to park on the 3rd floor parking! I looked for Totoy's car and as usual, parked nearby to catch all the pre-race chat.


:::: 5:30 am ::::

Coach Jo and I were still trying our luck to change my registration to the La Salle Category. It seems that I ran out of luck. I was stuck on the OPEN category. (note to self: look for my old ID). Did a couple of 250m jog for warm up and my usual stretching routine.

::: 5:55am ::::

"The race will start on time...." yup! that's true! We headed on the starting grid and for the first time I was starting near the front row! Coach Jo ran me through all the pros/cons of starting up front. Hard as it seems, I mustered all my excitement and tried to churn it into courage. Courage that I needed for the next 5kms. It was a real big change for me.

7

6

5

4

3

2

1....

:::: Gun Start ::::

Inspired by Haile's Sprinting Burst at the start and fueled by the excitement of racing again. I sprinted alongside all the runners up front. Paced back only when I got a comfortably fast rhythm. I knew I have the speed, the only question that was bothering me that time was, Did I have the endurance to keep my speed up to the finish? Plagued by this shin problem I have only done a couple of 40 minute "long" run sessions in the past 3 weeks of recovery training. I shifted my concentration more on my form. Stride per stride, I checked my gait, I checked my back, and my ever so wobbly arms. Concentrated on keeping them clipped but relaxed enough.

Got to the first turn-around and I was still feeling strong. No sign of slowing down now.... Coach Jo then told me to ready for another break away strider. We passed by a couple more runners this time.

:::: 3km marker :::::::
I checked my watch and it flashed this 4 big numbers....... 12:01

"Just on time.... Now I just need to sustain my pace for a couple more km". This is when I noticed that I didn't have more left to push. I tried to recover just before I hit the next short uphill section. But I just can seem to find my rhythm. I can't find my stride.... I'm loosing my pace.

::::: last 1km :::::::::

I closed my eyes...... lift, contact, push-off..... lift, contact, push-off..... I focused on my arms, swing, swing, swing.....

I just wanted to take my thoughts away from slowing..... I knew I lost a lot of time from the 3rd km lap. I had to maintain my pace or push. I saw the last 400 stretch! I ran and just closed my eyes. Got to the last turn and held my strength for the last push.

I clocked in at only 21:26.

Disappointed?????? I guess a little.... I was really hoping to break 20 minutes.
New PR????? Well, for this route (MOA)??? Hell yeah! I still slashed 1:10 off my last race time.

Now off to some more long run session. I still need to improve my endurance. Thanks to Coach Jo for guiding me throughout the race and throwing me tips on race day strategies.

I will break that 20 minute barrier..... (now ben, repeat 200,000,000,000 times!)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey nice post. I'm out of breath just reading it.

Congrats on your PR! At the rate you're training, you'll reach your 20 min goal pretty soon.

By the way, there's one thing I don't like about your being so focused and serious about the races nowadays...you don't take pics anymore! haha

bEnMChAn said...

hahahaha! don't worry i'll try to get you some pics next time. let me concentrate muna on the sub 20minute thingy. hehehehehehehehehe

MD said...

superben idowl naks! kelan kaya ako magiging sing bilis mo bro

Anonymous said...

Ben,

Congrats man on the PR! I second the motion the Bullrunner medyo hiningal din ako hehehh.

bEnMChAn said...

marga: di pa ako mabilis. I'm too eager na na for more speed. hay..... kelan kaya??????


TRF: thanks for dropping by! how was singMarathon??? :( I can't believe i missed it. huhuhuhu